Friday, May 29, 2015

What I Did for My Retirement

I keep thinking about that old Cheech and Chong routine where the kid is supposed to read his paper on "What I Did for My Summer Vacation":  "The first day of vacation I got up.  I went downtown to look for a job.  Then I hung out.  The second day of vacation I got up.  I went downtown to look for a job.  Then I hung out.  The third day of vacation I got up.  I went downtown..."

The first day of retirement I got up.  I went down to the office to clean it out.  In the early afternoon my dad fell and cut his head open on the concrete, so I took him up to the ER.  So I spent the first day of retirement in my office and at the hospital...kind of like a day I might have expected at work!

The second day of retirement we drove Mom and Dad home to PA.  The third day of retirement we drove back to MA.  Yesterday I cleaned the house, went grocery shopping, made cupcakes for my brother-in-law's birthday, and did paper work.

I didn't expect to feel differently, but I don't even feel like I'm on vacation.  I've been waking up at 6, bright eyed and bushy tailed.  I did force myself back to sleep this morning, so I didn't get up until 7 (so lazy!).  Every now and then I think, "I don't have a job!"  and get highly anxious, but then it passes.

I did get up yesterday and walk because I want to establish some kind of routine, however suggestive it may be.  I also want to write regularly and I need to figure out when the best time for that will be.  This morning it was thank you notes and more packing, doing errands and planning for the summer's adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment